Is Web Content Written or Graphic?
In addition to guest posting on the UpCity blog, Active Web Group is featured as one of the Top Digital Marketing Agencies in the United States . Check out their profile!
We are often asked if web content means text, or some form of graphic as if each exists in its own digital universe. In fact, web content is widely defined as text, visual, or audio examples that are published on websites. That means photos, illustrations, animations, videos, sound recordings, data, and words on a webpage, are all considered to be website content. As a key element in a successful content marketing strategy, digital marketers’ focus is to produce and optimize content development, including copywriting services and graphic design elements. Therefore, a more complete question should be, “Is GOOD content written or graphic, and why?”
That’s because all web content must be optimized so that search engines can locate a given site based on search terms/keywords. To attract search engine bots while simultaneously providing site visitors with fresh and compelling information, web content developers will employ a combination of the two major types of content: text and multimedia. The purpose of text as content is to inform, and may be optimized by internal links to allow site visitors to access more of the information they are looking for. Examples include blogs, FAQ sheets, Q and A pages, product descriptions, and more.
For almost a decade, Google has decreed that it is not enough for optimizers to seek higher site rankings. Instead, truly successful high-quality content marketing seeks to achieve a better user experience for each site visitor, time after time. That is primarily why copywriting services alone do not drive highly successful content development .
Enter graphics to serve as visual appeal, breaking up blocks of text on a landing page to prevent boredom, stimulate interest, and engage visitors to remain on the site. Web design and graphic content include every media that is not textual. Some examples include:
- Video: Currently the most popular graphic vehicle, videos span audio and visual graphic elements and allow visitors to easily access and absorb information more quickly than by reading it. Videos embedded on the website or links to YouTube videos and social media outlets can be readily optimized for ranking purposes as well as for branding initiatives. This year it’s estimated that over 80% of all web traffic will be video content-driven . So do not wait for an engraved invite- get in or get run over by your competition!
- Audio: Several types of audio files can be added to a site as part of web content development. Currently, the most popular audio file formats are uncompressed files such as WAV or Waveform audio file which is typically used on Windows systems, AIFF- Audio Interchange file format which is the standard for storing sound data for personal computers and mobile devices, and AU which simply means ‘Audio’ and is the common format for UNIX-based sound files. Like videos, audio recordings make content more accessible to visitors, thereby enhancing the website user experience.
- Animation: using any popular animation program GIFs and customized animated shorts can be added to any site. There is a growing demand for web content creation that utilizes a brand spokesperson or mascot in animated form to demonstrate how-tos, introduce new products, and create an indelible impression with viewers to build trust and brand identity.
- Images: These visual content elements can assist visitors to understand the information in accompanying blocks of text more effectively. Types of images include photos, illustrations, and drawings. These images not only encourage visitors to remain on a webpage longer but can also be optimized for ranking value. Never one to miss an optimization opportunity, Google was an early provider of archived and stock images and now offers users the opportunity to save and share their images online as well.
The most valuable website content development in terms of both satisfying site visitors and enabling successful SEO opportunities is site content that incorporates optimized multimedia and textual elements. These include:
- Blog Posts: Authoritative and influential, blog posts as part of a content marketing strategy will assist sites to achieve higher Search Engine Results Page (SERP) rankings. A goal for copywriting services is to establish the author and content writer as an industry expert , as well as offer additional topics readers will find relevant and interesting. Scheduled blog postings inspire visitors to return to the site routinely. Additional SEO initiatives can be planned for new postings to invite visitors to explore other site pages, increase their time on the site, and trigger conversions. Do not overlook the opportunity to include photos and other images in every posting, again to stimulate interest as well as to provide additional information to share via social media outlets such as Facebook and LinkedIn to signal to boost a brand’s reach.
- Infographics: Its popularity with visitors waxes and wanes but will likely continue to be a staple on sites that receive a positive response to them. Savvy writing services know that a combination of written content and graphic elements in the form of infographics will take visitors on an informative journey. Infographics additionally serve as visual snapshots to crystallize concepts visually instead of in lengthy text blocks. Readers are more likely to share infographics via social media rather than to cite a web page, giving this medium the opportunity to become viral and a potential source of “free” backlinks. Be aware that in 2021, social media overtook paid search as an advertising channel by over $2 billion, so think in terms of shares when starting the content writing for select clients.
- Topical Trends: Trends are like shooting stars, they are not long-lived, but give off a brilliant light in the digital metaverse! Use trending topics to drive site traffic to view new products and services by “newsjacking ” current hot topics. Insinuate a brand into a current news story to demonstrate thought leadership and expertise on a subject. This action will likely attract a new audience from an unexpected source.
- How-to-Guides: Unleash the inner DIYer in your target audience by offering how-to instructions as part of a content development strategy. These may accompany product descriptions or link to ‘How To’ videos for additional user satisfaction and optimization opportunities.
- eBooks: According to Statista, the ebook market, books available only online, was worth upwards of $18 billion, or 18% of the total book sales (including hardbound) worldwide. This media is cheaper and faster to produce than hardbound editions and is an ideal medium for mobile users.
- Lists: Do not underestimate the power of lists! This article utilizes the most popular form of site content. From “To Dos” to “How Tos”, lists instruct, inform, organize thoughts, and offer site visitors valuable information takeaways tailored to their specific needs. Also, lists with titles that begin with a number, i.e. “5 Top Reasons to Buy a Home This Year” rank well in the SERPs.
Hear From Industry Experts
Read the latest tips, research, best practices, and insights from our community of expert B2B service providers.
So to answer the title, website content is both written and graphic. From its start over twenty years ago, search engine optimization initiatives addressed an ever-evolving and ever more competitive online landscape. The drive to present each client in their best light requires employing every content option relative to that client’s business. As for content development, to remain competitive varied media must be implemented to present information onsite.
Remember that axiom about how it takes a village to raise a child? Today’s content writing initiatives engage copywriting services along with elements from the graphics/media toolbox as part of a search engine optimization campaign’s successful content marketing strategy. Digital marketing campaign goals continue to use relevant web content initiatives to attract, convert, and retain visitors to inspire their brand loyalty and ultimately achieve every client’s online business goals.